Friday, February 16, 2018

What I've Learned - Paternity Leave edition

Here are some things I've learned from my paternity leave with James. (and some just from his first few months of life in general)

35 things for 35 days of leave:


  1. The bar is still extremely low for dads, and it still makes me sad.  It is shocking the number of times I heard "my husband wouldn't do that" when I've told folks I'm on leave for 5 weeks with James.  
  2. James is less interested in a schedule and more interested in a rhythm.  At times, he and I seem to be playing different songs. :-)  
  3. The best part of my day is seeing the smile on James' face when he hears mama's voice when she and Anna get home from school. 
  4. Changing diapers on boys is a very different experience.  
  5. It is very hard to be productive with a 3 month old around.  I had a well intentioned "paternity leave to do list," but have not checked off a single item from that list.  
  6. People get mad if you don't post enough pictures.
  7. It is shocking the number of people that don't know the difference between the words maternity and paternity.  No, I am not on maternity leave.  
  8. Sometimes you just need to go to the store, alone... even if you don't actually need anything.  
  9. Sleep in 2-3 hour increments for an extended period of time is simply exhausting.  Amy has done it much longer than I have and I realize I have zero room to complain.
  10. Despite the last one, an hour or two to myself after Amy and the kids are asleep is essential to my mental health...even if it means less sleep.   
  11. I am thankful to be married to a strong and dedicated woman.  I could give a thousand examples of this, but her dedication to sticking to a very strict diet for James has really solidified this lesson. 
  12. A number of people have told Amy and me that you are not a "real parent" until you have 2 kids.  I don't think having 2 kids is harder, I think it just takes good communication and teamwork between parents.  
  13. Having a migraine sucks, having a migraine when you are the sole care taker for the day for a 3 month old is simply awful.  
  14. Sometimes it is impossible to tell what a baby wants/needs, because the baby itself has no idea what he wants/needs.  
  15. I will never understand why a business will take the time to put in a changing table in the women's bathroom, but not in the men's bathroom.  
  16. When out and about with mama and daddy, James get a lot of attention.  When James is out and about with just Daddy, Daddy gets a lot of attention as well.  (And I am very happy with Amy, so I just find this amusing.  I also think this has a lot less to do with me specifically and a lot to do with lesson #1.)
  17. Make a point to have an errand to run.  Several times I realized James and I hadn't left the house in days.  James and daddy both do better when we leave the house at least once a day.  
  18. Laundry....so much laundry.   
  19. A smile from James can make hours of crying fade away.  
  20. Coffee is important.  If I have to decide between breakfast and coffee, coffee wins.
  21. God has a good sense of humor.  It seems God gives you the easy baby first to bait you into a second child.  
  22. As a parent, I wish I could have the energy I had in my twenties, with the life experience and perspective I have in my late 30's.  
  23. Our village is still incredible.  
  24. I thought we travelled heavy with just one child, but we need to rent a U-Haul to travel with 2.  Side note: flying with a 6 week old and 3 year old seems like a good idea when buying the ticket...not so much when it was time to get through security and board the plane.  Having said that, both kids did really well.   
  25. Anna has surprised us with how great she has been as a big sister.  She is simply in love with her little brother. 
  26. Sometimes it is necessary for your children to see you struggle and make mistakes.  You don't have to create these situations because they happen everyday, you just shouldn't always hide them.  Anna seeing us struggle and make mistakes but keep trying has been a really good lesson for her.  She reminds us often now "it's okay, we all make mistakes, just do your best."
  27. I love my job and I'm a bit of a workaholic.  Being off for 5 weeks has been weird, but good for me. I wouldn't trade these last 5 weeks for anything, but I am ready to get back to my "work."
  28. Babies love their pacifiers, but so do adults.  My pacifier, like many adults, is my phone.  I need to use my pacifier less...a lot less.      
  29. When a baby is fussy, there are times when there is no substitute for mama.  
  30. Amy and I have an amazing church and we are very thankful they have afforded me the gift of 5 weeks with James! 
Bonus lessons from a C-section, birth, and hospital stay.
  1. C-sections are a very different experience than a vaginal birth.  Very very different.  
  2. We treat babies like they are glass, but during a C-section they yank, pull, and twist like they are trying to get a fumble from the bottom of the pile during the Super Bowl.  
  3. Circumcision is weird.
  4. Sleep in a hospital is hard, both from a quality and quantity standpoint.  
  5. Nurses still talk to dad's like we are 2 year olds.  



No comments:

Post a Comment