Thursday, July 12, 2018

Let your church be The Church

     "Let your church be The Church!"  This is a phrase I have found myself saying a lot over the last few years.  Working in the church, it is not unusual for me to be aware of "stuff" going on in church members lives.  Burdens both light to carry that will pass quickly, to burdens that are heavy and seem to have no end in sight.
     One thing always seems to be consistent though...few people carrying these burdens want to share that burden with others.  Many people think their load is to trivial, some think others simply won't understand, others think that their burden simply isn't important enough or big enough to share.  It saddens me that so many people of the church feel they must go it alone.
     So I find myself encouraging them to "let your church be The Church."  By this, I simply mean that I believe God created church to be a community that shares burdens, not hides them.  I believe God created us to be in relationship and that true relationship doesn't trivialize any burden, but carries that burden with others; sometimes even carrying that burden for others.  We aren't created for isolation, but community.  It is hard to have true community without folks willing to share not just the best of themselves, but the vulnerable and broken parts as well.
     I realize though, it is easier to say that than it is to live it.  I have learned this lesson in a very real way lately.  If you know me, you know I am not one that likes much attention.  My work in the church doesn't often allow me to be the introvert I prefer to be.  Sometimes it is easy to work in the church without really being a part of that church.  I love my church.  St. Andrew's is more than a job for me, it truly is a church home for my family.  However, I am lucky that my church also extends well beyond the walls of St. Andrew's.  I have church family in NC, WV, MI, OH, TX, CA, PA, NY...and I could go on and on with that list.  So, I am reaching out to my church family for prayer.  I am going to let my church be The Church.
     Back in June, I began having some medical issues.  Through a variety of test, they found a mass that they first tried to treat through medications.  It has not responded to medication very much, and as a result, my doctor. wants to move forward with surgery to remove the mass.  So on Monday I will be having surgery to have this mass removed.  It will take a week for the pathology reports to come back.  So I am asking my extended church family to pray for me, my family, and for good results from both the surgery and the pathology reports.  The good news is, even if it does turn out to be a cancerous tumor, it will be very treatable.  So I am not worried about long term impact, just more concerned with the normal risk of surgery.
     It is really out of my nature to want to "share to the masses" (pun intended :-)), but I also need to practice what I preach and let my church be The Church.  I know many of you will immediately want to know what you can do to help.  The simple answer is nothing outside of prayers.  I am thankful to have such a large church family and I am thankful to know that so many of you will not only say you are praying for me, but will also follow through.  I've already felt the many prayers that have been sent up on my behalf!

Love in Christ,
Kevin

4 comments:

  1. I've been praying and will continue in prayer for you that God will bring about full healing. I'm also praying for your sweet family that they will experience peace during this healing process. God sees you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending lots of prayers for you and your family! I have been catching up on your blog posts. LOVE what you have to say about being a dad. Thank you for expressing your thoughts so well here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and yours. I have a confidence that all will go as it is planned by Him. And all will be well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sending up sprayers to God and good wishes and fast healing thought to you and your entire family. We love you Kevin!

    Scott and Mona Scarbrough

    ReplyDelete